The fight will occur at the Hard Rock Stadium in Miami, Florida on June 6.
What We Know:
- Five-time world champion Floyd Mayweather announced the event on Instagram this Tuesday. In his post, he mentioned Mayweather Promotions, Fanmio, and Showtime are teaming up to produce this “epic event”. Viewers at home can watch the boxing match via pay-per-view on Showtime in the United States, or Fanmio in other nations. Showtime has not provided any prices as of yet, but those watching on Fanmio can purchase the competition for $49.99. Tickets also go on sale next week.
- Prior to Tuesday’s announcement, the fight was originally scheduled for February but had been postponed indefinitely due to COVID-19 restrictions. Since then, it was billed as a “special exhibition”.
- Mayweather told The Disruptive Entrepreneur podcast he believed a fight between him and Logan Paul meant they could “go out, entertain, have fun, and make nine figures, $100 million or more.” The Athletic mentions that “Mayweather’s eye for money led him into verbal exchanges with Paul.” The latter immediately responded and the two began discussing a potential match. After the initial February event fell through, Mayweather pulled some strings with his connection at Showtime. The company was willing to promote the show on their platform because of “the drawing power of the social-media influencer brothers in the ring,” referring to Jake and Logan Paul.
- Mayweather’s statement did not specify how many rounds the duo will fight nor the size of gloves they will use. According to Fanmio, additional rules and the undercard will be released soon. However, TalkSport reported some undercard information has begun leaking. For example, Jean Pascal will rematch Badou Jack for WBA’s “regular” light-heavyweight belt. Jarret Hurd will also go up against Luis Arias. For the third undercard, there are rumors it may feature celebrities.
- TheGrio wrote that some fans believe the match is a way for Mayweather and Paul to make some more money. They feel it will be similar to the fight between Mayweather and Conor McGregor.
Mayweather v. Paul will just be like when Mayweather fought Conor McGregor.
It’s going to be one of the greatest boxers of all time toying with someone who doesn’t belong in the rink for five rounds before dominating the rest of the fight. However, I will still be watching.
— Shaun Chornobroff (@SChornobroff) April 22, 2021
- Logan is a novice to the world of boxing. Initially a YouTube star, he began a professional boxing career in 2019. He has only fought once and lost to fellow YouTuber KSI in November 2019. Jake also recently broke out of YouTube and started boxing. Jake has a better reputation in the boxing world, beating figures such as Nate Robinson and Ben Askren.
- Mayweather will come out of retirement for the second time for the June 6th match. The boxer, who has 50 wins and 0 losses, as well as 27 knockouts (KOs), last defeated McGregor by a 10th round technical knockout (TKO) in August 2017 at the T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, Nevada. Mayweather has won titles in the junior lightweight, lightweight, junior welterweight, welterweight, and junior middleweight divisions. He also defeated Tenshin Nasukawa in 2018 during an exhibition bout.
Mayweather is also coining the match as an “epic crossover event”. He is currently preparing for it at the Mayweather Boxing Club in Las Vegas. Mayweather intends on carrying it a few rounds, similarly to how he did in the McGregor fight.